Help us kick off fall with our 1st Annual Scarecrow Festival at Grandma’s! Let’s usher in the arrival of all things festive with a day of spooky, spectacular scarecrows, fall-themed food vendors, and the grand opening of our new, and improved, railroad!
Enter the Scarecrow Contest to compete for prizes!
• 1st Place – $300
• 2nd Place – $200
• 3rd Place – $100
• People’s Choice Award – $300
(Yes, that does mean your team can win up to $600 if your team claims 1st place and people’s choice!)
All prizes are awarded per team/group
Contestants will be provided their Scarecrow frame upon signup. All other supplies are up to you.
Contestants will take their Scarecrow frames home with them and bring them back the day of the event. We encourage contestants to do the majority of their assembly offsite. Final touches can be added the day of judging from 9:00am-12:45pm on Saturday, September 16th. ALL SCARECROWS MUST BE ON SITE BY 12:45PM SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 16th TO BE CONSIDERED FOR PRIZES. Judging will begin promptly at 1:00pm Saturday, September 16th
On the day of the festival, look for the plaque with your team’s name on it. A PVC pipe that fits your scarecrow’s frame will be provided to keep your scarecrow upright. Please leave 12 inches of space at the bottom of your scarecrow empty to fit into the pipe. Sign your team up over the phone (937-885-2740), in person at the garden center, or send us a DM on Facebook/Instagram. Scarecrow Frames will be available for pickup Friday, August 18th -Thursday, September 14th. Store hours 9am-5pm Monday-Saturday and 10am-5pm Sundays.
All scarecrows must be delivered to Grandma’s Gardens (8107 N SR-48 Waynesville, OH 45068) on Saturday, September 16th between 9am and 12:45pm. If you wish to bring your finished scarecrow in earlier, please give us a call first to make sure we can accommodate this request. 937-885-2740
Our Scarecrow Contest is open to all ages, individuals, families, clubs/non-profits & businesses. Each individual or group may only enter one time. There is NO cost to enter the contest.
1. Scarecrows must be built on the provided frame.
2. No store-bought scarecrows.
3. Scarecrows must be able to fit in a 6′ x 6′ footprint once assembled.
4. Entries deemed offensive, political, not family friendly, or not in the good-natured spirit of the event, will be removed.
5. Entrants are responsible for setup and must ensure their scarecrow can withstand the elements.
6. Employees of Grandma’s Gardens are not eligible to win.
September 16th, 2023
9:00am-12:45pm – Scarecrow setup/final touches
11:00am-3:00pm – Vendors on site
1:00pm – Judging Begins
2:00pm – Winners announced
People’s Choice Award: voting takes place on social media over the following week; awarded the following weekend
Scarecrows are left on display through October 20th (after which time contestants can claim)
• Creativity – Unique, original concept, new idea
• Design – technique, materials used (recycled materials are strongly encouraged), can your scarecrow withstand the elements
• Overall Impression – Judges are looking for that scarecrow with a little bit extra. Whether it’s with the materials used, the way the scarecrow has been made, how it is displayed or simply an ingenious concept.